Updated: Apr 5, 2020
This is my OG protein ball recipe, it works perfectly every time and produces the most delicious cookie dough tasting protein balls. Me and my dad have worked hard to perfect this recipe so that so they have the best ratio of high protein versus low sugar possible whilst keeping the consistency in tact!
There are quite a lot of ingredients in this recipe, and protein balls can certainly be made with fewer items. However, there are PROPER protein balls, made up of all healthy and natural ingredients that keep well for a long time without loosing their taste or texture.
The protein we use is the Optimum Nutrition gold standard whey, in french vanilla creme. For a vegan alternative, i would recommend the Vita Sports vanilla vegan protein. Both are sweet enough and add a in the recipe so we don't need to add any sweetener, sugar or honey.
This recipe made 30 balls, where each was 30 grams.
Nutrition (per 30 g ball)
120 calories | 9 g of protein | 2.2 g sugar ⠀
50 g chopped dates ⠀
225 g oats⠀
150 g vanilla protein ⠀
420 g peanut butter (basically a whole jar - melt in the Hob before adding) ⠀
75 g sunflower seeds⠀
75 g almond powder or flour⠀
200 g water ( as much necessary to adjust consistency)⠀
All you need is a large bowl, a grinder/ nutri-bullet, saucepan and hob.
1. In a large bowl, first grind the seeds and oats so they are a more flowery consistency.
2. Then add all other dry ingredients together, whilst melting the peanut butter over the hob.
3. Once the peanut butter is melted add this in.
4. Mix all ingredients together, using as much water as necessary (no more than 200 g)
5. At this point taste the batter to make sure it is sweet enough for you - if not you can add vanilla essence or sweetener to keep it low sugar.
6. Roll into balls, using a little water help.
7. Coat them in a little more of the almond powder and place them on a tray in the fridge to set. After they have set properly they can be stored in any container in the fridge.
Give it a go and tag me @pt_imo in your pics on Instagram!